Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Is The Next Food Network Star copying Top Chef?

Hey everyone!
I know that all of you know that I watch a ton of cooking reality competition shows (masterchef, top chef, the next food network star and more!) and recently, I was watching an episode of the next food network star, and I thought that there was something familiar about something they're doing. Basically, on Top Chef, starting with 2 or 3 seasons ago, eliminated contestants compete to win a place back on the show near the end. This seems like a brilliant idea, right? It gets people watching and also watching the web clips online generating traffic to their websites. But then I was watching the next food network star, and they're doing the same thing! I don't have a problem with people copying other ideas, but doing it so blatantly and in a manner so similar to Top Chef (both are web only clips, 2 eliminated contestants cooking off, win a spot back later...) is a little bit too obvious. I don't know if its just me, or if other people feel this way, but I think that the Food Network should have changed at least a little bit about the way that they do it, especially because a lot of people who watch Top Chef, probably watch the Next Food Network Star as well. 

Let me know your thoughts on this in the comments below, and also, if you watch the next food network star, who's your favorite contestant? Mine is Chad (the BBQ guy)!
-Sisi

No comments:

Post a Comment