Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Back Pain

Hey everyone!
So I am a cheerleader and I've had back pain for a while so I went to a pediatric sports injury doctor today. I know lots of cheerleaders suffer from this and don't want to recieve help, so I'll share what she told me because it might help others!


So my pain was in the middle of my back. She said if it's in the lower part of the back it can be a stress fracture, but for me, my pain is called by uneven tension in my back. The left side is tighter, which pulls my spine out of alignment and causes pain. This is caused by either too much stress on the back or core and shoulder weakness (so the back works harder). I have a few exercises that I need to do every other day so I'll also share those with you!

1) Planks!
Front and side 3 sets of 30 seconds (increase time when it becomes too easy)

2) Leg raises
Lie on side, flex foot and raise leg up and down (3 sets of 10 reps)

3) Bridges
Lie on back, knees bent. Lift butt of ground and hold for 10 seconds. (3 sets of 10 reps)

4) Wall angles
Stand with back to wall and arms out to sides and elbows bent. Raise arms above head and return to start. (3 sets of 10 reps)

5) Lower Trapezius Raise
Lie on stomach and lift arms up with thumbs upwards. Lift arms up and lower. (3 sets of 10 reps)

6) Wall pushes
Stand facing wall with arms on wall. Lower trunk by using shoulders (not elbows) and return to start. (3 sets of 10 reps). 

So I hope this is helpful to some people! Also, my doctor says that cracking your back by having someone step or push on it is fine! My mom got pretty mad when she heard that ;D
-Sisi

No comments:

Post a Comment