Friday, September 27, 2013

Question: How do you workout with a dislocated shoulder?

Hey everyone!
If you didn't know, I dislocated my shoulder a little while ago and I did a blog post on that. If you'd like to read that, click here! And before I get into the purpose of this post, I'd just like to say thank you for your kind thoughts and I really appreciate them! With that being said, shoulder injuries (dislocations and other things) are serious and many people want to continue to exercise throughout the healing process (like myself!) So I thought I'd give you some of my tips. Keep in mind, I am not a doctor and I would totally talk with yours before trying any of this! So let's get started. 
Arm strength
If you dislocate your shoulder, go to a physician and you'll probably have to do some range of motion exercises and strengthening exercises. At my school, the athletic trainers gave me some exercises to supplement the ones my doctor gave me, but if you can get in to see a physical therapist, that's even better! So that's pretty much your arm exercises because you really can't lift weights or support any body weight when your shoulder isn't strong and healthy!
Abs
I'm refraining from planks and things because it puts a lot of stress on the shoulder. Instead, you can do reverse crunches (where you lift your hips), V-Ups, and 6 inches.
Hips
If you are a cheerleader, not doing jumps for a few weeks while your shoulder heals can feel like forever! You can actually improve your flexibility and your jumps by doing some leg lifts! Sit in a straddle with one hand in and one hand out and lift one leg. That's a rep! I like doing 2 sets of 25 on each leg and doing 2 sets of 25 with both legs and my hands in the middle!
Legs
You can kill your legs and get insanely strong! I have been doing tons of frog jumps (feel the burn!), jumping squats, one legged squats on a step stool, and to work the calf muscle I like to go onto the balls of my feet (tippy toe!) and then come back down and repeat for 2 sets of 30!
Butt
This is another area thats easy to target without using arms! I like to lay on the ground on my back and my feet on the ground. You then lift your hips off the ground. Hold for 10 seconds and then return to the start! Do 3 sets of 10 and you'll be done!

So those are some exercises that I've been doing! Once again, I am so not a physician and consult yours before starting an intense exercising routine especially if you're injured! If you like these workout posts, let me know and I'll be sure to do more! 
-Sisi

No comments:

Post a Comment