Wednesday, January 15, 2014

How to Be More Outgoing

Hey guys!
So I have heard that being extroverted/introverted is genetic and is inherited, but I also know that you can teach yourself to be more extroverted to a certain extent! So I'll share with you some tips on how to be more extroverted!

So first off, let's start with me! I am not really introverted or extroverted, I am kind of a mixture. With people that I know, even just a little, I am extremely extroverted, but around people that I don't know well, I tend to shy up and crawl back into my shell. My dad is very extroverted and my mom is introverted, so I would probably be considered a mix of the two as I'm sure a lot of people are. I have sort of become more extroverted recently and I want to share with you guys how I did that!

1) Talk to more people
This is so vague and so not helpful, but it really needs to be first. If you are very truly and introverted person, this will be very hard, but there are ways to make it easier. For example, if you are in school, talk to someone from your class and ask them what the homework was or how they think they did on a test or something like that because it is something you both have in common and isn't too crazy. You could also message someone on facebook and just start chatting with them. Actually I recently did that with a guy that I was friends with in 8th grade, but haven't talked to since, and now we're actually really close again. If you are a little more of a mixture of extrovertedness and introvertedness, you have it a little easier and you can talk to your friends when they're with people you don't know and you can kind of try to squeeze yourself into conversations, where your friends are. 
2) Posture = Everything
Have you ever seen someone sitting by themselves, crouched over their phone? You don't really want to go up and start talking to this person, do you? While I know its easy to get caught up in texting or your phone, try to do this with good posture. Instead of hunching over, sit up straight, and look approachable. If you're talking one on one with someone, don't cross your arms because it makes you look closed off. Instead, try to keep them by your sides because it makes you look more open! Also, stand up straight and look up because it makes you look more confident and approachable. 
3) Put Yourself Out There
This is another very obvious tip, but one that is probably the hardest. You have to put yourself out there to be more outgoing and extroverted. I know that it's very difficult and it is something that I struggle with a lot as well, but you can try ease yourself into this. If you're still in school, joining a club, or a sport can really help meet new people. You can also try volunteering or just going to parties or gatherings. I think the thing to take away from this tip is to put yourself in situations where you can meet people. 

So I'll do an update on this post if I think of any other tips, but I think that I covered everything! I know that trying to be more outgoing is hard for a lot of us and I promise you that if you put in the effort, it will get better and easier. If you have any questions or just want to talk to me about this, leave me a comment below, tweet me, or email me because I know how difficult this is and I'd love to help you guys if you need it.
-Sisi 

No comments:

Post a Comment