Tuesday, February 18, 2014

My Thoughts on Rich Kids of Beverly Hills

Hi guys!
So I think that most of you know my obsession with reality television like Keeping Up With the Kardashians and the sort. Well, recently E! has a new show called "Rich Kids of Beverly Hills". It's pretty much about twenty something year olds partying it up and spending their parent's money. Before I get into this, I think that you should watch one episode of the show at least before reading the rest of this because it might not make sense otherwise. Okay, so here we go. 

At first I thought that it was a terrible television show. I know a lot of television critics feel the same way and its just because it seems stupid to watch people partying and living a lavish lifestyle that 99% of people can't afford. But after I started watching a little bit more, I realized that it was actually pretty okay. I think its because they are very real people. It doesn't seem like they are putting on any type of facade and you feel like you get to know these people. 

I get that the life that these people live is a fantasy to most people and that the "problems" they dramatize are nothing like "real world" problems that most Americans face such as lack of money, no job, hunger, homelessness, and more. But at the same time, the purpose of Reality Television is to get us away from the harsh reality of life and what better way to do that then by becoming engrossed in the lives of the rich and famous. And although these people aren't facing serious problems they face another very real challenge: trying to create their own identity. These kids are all in their mid 20s and only one or two have actual jobs and are self sufficient. The rest rely on their parents. I can't help but feel sorry or sad for them because they are rich by association. They didn't work for what they have, they don't even necessarily deserve what they have and they are overshadowed by what their parents have accomplished. 

At the end of the day, I think that this is what makes Rich Kids of Beverly Hills so enticing. I love being able to see these kids who you think have it all, and realize that I and most of the people reading this have what they do not. We have a sense of self, identity, and we have the pleasure of knowing that everything we do each day comes from ourselves and that we work for what we have instead of having it given to us. I honestly love this show (judge me) and I think that you will too, if you give it a chance. 

Let me know in the comments what you're thoughts are on this show and don't forget to follow me on bloglovin!
-Sisi

No comments:

Post a Comment