Monday, February 10, 2014

What are my thoughts on "Fitspo?"

Hey everyone!
So I know that there are conflicting thoughts on whether "fitspo" or fitness inspiration are good or bad for body image and I thought that I'd share my thoughts with you today! I want to start by saying I do not have a medical degree or anything like that, but I am very health conscious and I have been in gymnastics, dance, and cheerleading which are very body conscious sports. 

First off, let's start with what is fitspo? It mostly refers to blogs or pictures (mainly pintrest and tumblr) that have inspirational quotes and pictures to motivate people to exercise and eat well. The main controversy about fitspo is that they promote unhealthy body image and make people develop eating disorders or body image problems. Fitspo is different from pro anorexia sites because they are more focused on gaining muscle and definition rather than just being skinny. 

What are my thoughts on fitspo? I am actually 100% pro fitspo. I tend to go through phases where I'm really inspired and other phases when I am lazy and unmotivated. I find that fitspo helps to keep me motivated by showing me things that I can do. I love that it promotes healthy living because a lot of the ones I look at show dancers doing scorpions or flexibility things or people doing advanced yoga poses. These are things that I am striving to do, and by seeing pictures of other people doing them, I get super pumped and motivated. With that being said, I get that it can promote unhealthy body image if you look at the wrong types of body types (like if you are more muscular, but you look at images of lean figures) or if you look at unhealthily skinny models. I also think that people can trigger anorexia or bulimia, but with that being said, I think that these people are predisposed to eating disorders and it would happen whether or not they look at fitspo sites. 

Overall, I think that it depends on the person who looks at the sites. If they are motivated by looking at them, then that's great! That's what happens when I look at those sites! But if you are someone who gets down or sad when looking at fitspo because it seems unattainable, don't look at them! You are obviously trying to make a change if you are looking at fitness blogs and fitspo sites, so focus on actually DOING something rather than WATCHING something! 

I know this was a slightly controversial topic and that my opinions are most likely not the same as yours, so leave your thoughts on it in the comments, but please be respectful! 
-Sisi

 

No comments:

Post a Comment