Thursday, March 27, 2014

Are Plus Sized Models Unhealthy? My thoughts and opinions

Hi guys!
So before I start this post I want to say that I think that all people are beautiful and that it is 110% what's inside that counts, but if you feel that you're going to be offended (even thought that's not my intention) please leave now! Okay so now that that's out of the way, I've been watching lots of health videos on youtube recently and I saw one by Freelee that I thought was interesting. She pretty much said that plus sized models were unhealthy and promoted a distorted body image. I thought this was really interesting so I want to share my thoughts on it now!

I really, personally, like plus sized models because they show people what real women look like. Similarly to the Aerie campaign, they show the reality of our society, although this may not be ideal. I do understand both sides of the argument, though. Plus sized models have the ability to "normalize" heavier weights and make obesity an even larger problem than it already is in America, but at the same time, I want all women to feel great and I think that plus sized models have the ability to do that as well. I guess where I stand is that there has to be a limit. Just as we are making a conscious effort to stop using anorexic/bulimic models, we should make an effort not to use obese models either because they represent the extremes that no one should ever strive to look like. I think that curvy girls, on the other hand, are fine because that's what the majority of the people in America resemble!

So those were my thoughts on plus sized models! Let me know what yours are in the comments and please don't leave any hate down below because these are my opinions and I know that some will disagree with me! 
-Sisi

No comments:

Post a Comment