Saturday, September 13, 2014

The Many Ways To Crack Your Back

Hi guys!
I have had back pain for a while now, originally from cheerleading, but now due to bad posture because of my shoulder surgery and recovery. I thought that I'd do a post on the many ways to crack your back because I have done it all and I've found ways that help a lot!

If You're Alone...

1) Foam Roller
Lie on your back, placing the foam roller under your spine. If you have long hair, tie it up because it is very painful if it gets tugged and caught in between the roller and floor! Then put your feet on the ground and use that to roll yourself on the roller! It's pretty much common sense! This works well (for me at least) on my mid back, but not so well on the upper back because the shoulder blades affect the pressure and make it harder to get some satisfying pops!

2) Shoulder Blade Squeeze
This is for a very specific area... Right between your shoulder blades! This is slightly harder and more painful, but the more you do it, the better and easier it gets! So clasp your hands behind your back and pull away from your body! You might get a few cracks in your upper back! 

3) Spinal Twists
There are two variations to this... the seated and the lying down. For the seated, you basically just twist your body to the side trying to lengthen your back and release any tension in the mid to lower back. If you're doing it lying down, lie down with both legs straight. Then bring one knee to your chest, and twist, bringing your knee to the opposite side (on the ground) and turning your head the other way. Personally, I do the sitting one more frequently, but they both work well!

If You've Got a Partner

1) Walk on the Back
This sounds scary, but it really isn't! You need someone at least 90 pounds to step on your back. Tell them to step side to side on the upper to mid back, trying to be careful on the lower back because it's softer and there's no rib cage as a barrier there! 

2) Push on the Back
The typical "cracking of the back". You'll lie on the ground (face down). You're partner will put their hands on either side of your spine starting at the top! They'll ask you to breathe in, and when you exhale, they'll push in and up, cracking the vertabrae! It's uncomfortable at first, but soon you and your partner will find the pressure that works and it'll feel amazing!

3) Sit on the Back
This one sounds bizarre, but it's what I've been using the most. If you want your upper back cracked, but stepping or pushing freaks you out, you'll lie on the ground face down. Your partner will sit on your back, facing your legs. They'll shift their weight back and forth, and that'll crack your back! My dad does this to me all the time because the other methods freak him out and although it sounds awkward, it works extremely well!

So those are the ways that I crack my back and what works the best for me! If you have upper back pain, I'd say you should definitely try it with a partner because sometimes you can't target that spot yourself! Let me know how you crack your back in the comments and I'll see you in my next post!
-Sisi

No comments:

Post a Comment