Friday, November 13, 2015

Daily Diary 11/13/15: Prayers for the World

Hi guys!
Today has been a rough day for most of the world. There has been so much destruction, disaster, and death in one day. I know that a lot of people are unaware of the full extent of what happened, so I thought I'd share what I know with all of you. 


Paris - Over 100 Killed
In Paris over 100 people were killed in gun and bomb attacks. The largest of these attacks took place at the Bataclan concert hall, where lots of people were held hostage and shot dead. The French boarders are currently closed, and Parisians are being told to stay indoors. 

Japan - 6.5 Earthquake
There was a 6.5 magnitude earthquake off the southern coast of Japan. So far there has been no report of casualties or destruction, although there is a tsunami alert for most of Japan. I keep seeing people retweet a picture saying that 18,000 people are dead or missing after today. This is not true. That is referring to the 2011 tsunami, and not the one that occurred today. 

Beirut - Suicide Bombings
43 people are dead in Beirut after a series of suicide bombings. ISIS has claimed responsibility for these bombings, but these claims have not been verified yet. 

Baghdad - Suicide Bombings
Over 19 people have been killed in suicide bombings in Baghdad. From what I've read it seems like no groups have taken responsibility for this yet, but it is likely ISIS because the bombings targeted Shiites. 

Mexico - ?
People keep using the hashtag #PrayForMexico honestly I have no clue what happened in Mexico. I have heard that it's because of the hurricane, but hurricane Patricia dissipated in October, so I'm not quite sure. If you know what this is about, let me know in the comments. 

I feel like this has gotten so much attention because it occurred on Friday the 13th. I don't think that it's likely that any of these events (with the exception of the Paris one) would have gotten much attention. At the same time, people are trying to group these things together and are trying to make it the same when it's really not. If you're going to pray for anyone, you should pray for the people of Paris, Beirut, Baghdad. The people of Japan are fine and I think the people in Mexico are fine as well. On Twitter, people are constantly hashtagging all of these things together, but I think that a better use of time is reading the news, learning about what happened, and being a good human being because things like these, while tragic, are a fact of life. 

If I have certain facts wrong, let me know in the comments. Also, if you know what happened in Mexico, I really want to know as well because I haven't found any recent articles about it. If you have been affected by any of these things, you are in my prayers and I am thinking of you. 
-Sisi

No comments:

Post a Comment