Friday, November 20, 2015

Daily Diary 11/20/15: All or Nothing

Today in my English class we were analyzing the movie Thank You For Smoking (great movie, by the way) and one of the logical fallacies we were talking about was this all or nothing mindset. The idea that there's only two options that you can choose from, when in reality there are way more options. I couldn't help but realize that this is something that I do in my life all the time. I force myself to the extremes, but never acknowledge that I could do something in the middle. This is what we're going to talk about today. 

I think the biggest example of this in my personal life right now is with my diet. The theme for my English class is "Food Politics," and my research topic was about plant based veganism. I've learned so much about the health benefits of veganism in the past three months, and I can't help but feel like that's how I should eat. On top of that, I've watched countless documentaries including Forks Over Knives, Cowspiracy, Food Inc., and more. Logically, and deep down inside, I know that I should be eating vegan not necessarily for the health benefits, because I consider myself to be a healthy individual as is, but mainly for the animals. I know that I shouldn't be spending money on animal products because that money supports an industry that I don't want to support, but I'm still eating animals. 

I made this argument an "all or nothing" in my head. I think that it should be an "all or nothing" and in a perfect world, everyone would be vegan, but it's not right for me right now. I find it incredibly hard to get the calories that I need when I try to eat vegan now because my options are usually some cooked vegetables with lots of excess oil, some rice medley, and the salad bar. I'm not trying to make excuses for myself, but it's just easier for me to make a salad, then throw on a piece of chicken to increase the calories. I've been beating myself up for this a lot lately. Today at dinner I ate some chicken tenders (I was craving the oil because I didn't eat enough at lunch), and couldn't stop thinking about how I was supporting factory farming and the deaths of so many chickens. 

This past month, I've tried so hard to limit the amount of animal products that I've consumed. This week, I only ate meat at three meals, and I haven't once had dairy, which I think is a step in the right direction. I think that it's time for me to congratulate myself for my small accomplishments and stop beating myself up for the times that I cave. 

I've been getting a lot of questions about when a video talking about the health benefits of veganism is going to go up! I am working on it, and it's definitely on the table! I'm going to try get it done ASAP, but it might not be until I get back to Hawaii in mid December. 
-Sisi

P.S. Have you seen yesterday's post? There's a bomb af sunset pic in it :P

No comments:

Post a Comment